Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Hill

Elver Park sits on the far west side of Madison. It's a terrific urban park with a little something for everyone. In the warmer months it has biking and hiking trails for the outdoor type, tennis courts, softball diamonds, and basketball courts for the amateur athletes, frisbee golf for the alternative athletes, and during the winters months it remains busy with a lighted cross-country skiing trail and the biggest and most exciting sledding hill in Madison. Whenever snow envelopes the ground the Elver Park sledding hill and the cross-country ski trails come alive with wintertime enthusiasts.

But after the snow melts and spring time weather hits the hill becomes a haven for the silent sport athletes, a training ground for those trying to improve their endurance and health. Currently the hill beckons me often. I turn 50 in February and am trying to recapture my fitness. In September my wife and I and two other couples are going to run a team marathon, next February I would like to ski the Kortelopet, and in February of 2011 the American Birkebeiner. In order to make this happen I need to get myself in great shape. And that is where the hill comes into play.

The hill is the signature landmark of Elver Park. The Wisconsin Badger Men's basketball team spends every fall attacking the hill. They start by running up it six to eight times and finish the fall training season by making it to the top about sixteen to eighteen times.
It is a brutal hill and a grueling experience . Unofficially I have heard that it has a 12 degree gradient.

Today I went to the top one time. And I was exhausted and whipped. Tomorrow I go again and will continue to attack it until I can hopefully get up and down it eight times.

3 comments:

  1. Kia ora Larry,
    Good on ya mate! My mantra these days is "Plod Forever". This arthritic hip has ended my hoops days and marathons. But put a pack on my back, dose me up with a bit of voltaren, point me up hill and I will get there.
    Glad to read your efforts in getting fit. As John Walker the great NZ middle distance runner said, "The hardest part of getting fit is putting on the shoes and getting out the door", so getting up the hill once is one in the bank and a place to measure from. Look forward to following your progress mate.
    Cheers,
    Robb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robb,

    I've put together a life list (which I've added New Zealand to it). Anyway I am looking to hike the John Muir Trail in the Sierra Nevada's. If you ever have about 25 days (I am at least three years out)I would love to have a hiking partner.

    Later,
    Larry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora Larry,
    One never knows! I hope New Zealand is high on the list. I have two tramps planned over the next few months, on with my son, and an annual birthday(49) trip I take with my fine Kiwi tramping companion John as we head off into the wintry mists. We have had huge amounts of snow in the mountains for so early in the winter so it should be pretty interesting.
    On my 50th I am planning to spend the better part of a month in the mountains, mainly on my own but also being resupplied with food and whiskey. Thus far being joined for a few days at a time by Gustav, John, my son Taylor, hopefully Jeff Kjos(Roaster) and possibly my old friend Nigel if he makes it home from Korea, and culminating in a mountain rendevous at Maropea Forks. It would be great to add you to the list!
    cheers,
    Robb

    ReplyDelete